Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shoals of Snoek!

I called up Koos Jordaan on Wednesday night, hoping there would be a spot on the boat. Thurday was looking good weather wise and Lucky for me there was a spot available.
We jumped on the boat nice and early and left the harbour heading north to Mapelane Lighthouse. Koos, Jonie, Kevin and myself jumped in out deep and did one or two drifts without much success, so we went closer to shore, not the best vis but just enough. Next thing I saw a dark shape glide past my flasher, as I dived down a good few snoek raced past me, i took a shot and nailed one. Stoked! threw it on the boat quickly and loaded my gun, by now Kevin had also nailed one. I was sure Koos and Jonie, slightly ahead also got at-least one. They did.
My heart was racing, the snoek were thick, I waited only seconds to see more snoek, dived down, shot another one, other snoek were screaming past as I pulled in my snoek in. A drift or two later the sharks decided to get in on the action as-well, and things started to get difficult with fish getting lost and spears bent.
At this point the snoek started getting very skittish, and the snoek were thinning out.
We then went  back deep and Jonie managed to get a nice salmon over 20kg, and Koos got a smaller one a bit later.
The wind started picking up and we decided to head back, luckily we did as the weather started to turn really nasty.
All in all a good day out at sea. With everyone getting a few snoek.

Kevin with a nice Snoek

Myself with supper

No comments:

Post a Comment