Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

St. Lucia

On Saturday afternoon, Andre Badenhorst called me and asked if I was interested on diving Mapelane. Having not dived the weekend I couldnt say no. So Sunday morning Andre, Allan Heydorn and myself launched at St.lucia.
The launch was easy due to the small swell, the sea however was horribly choppy. Trying to find clean water shallow proved difficult, with the conditions changing constantly. We had patches of clean water, with the bottom being mostly dirty.
Allan and I managed to see some couta, followed closely by 2 sharks, I saw one come onto Allan's Flasher and he gave it a good shot parralysing it, boating it easily. I chased one couta, shot it, a little low unfortunately and 2 sharks came swarming around my couta, I forced my couta a little too much and the Couta pulled out before I could get hold of it.
Other than seeing an BUS of a Zambezi there was not much else to write home about.

On a more serious note: Bottom Fishing is apparently going to be banned in the St. Lucia area. I am not 100% sure of all the details. If anyone has any information on this, please let me know. One nice thing about spearfishing this area was that if there was no cuda or snoek, one could always take home a tasty Tassel or a salmon. In fact this area has produced some huge salmon according to Allen Heydorn.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment