Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bats Cave / Club

Itching for a dive I called up Colin and asked if he wanted to dive. A bit later Colin Gray, Freddie, Cliff Eva, his son Shane and myself went to Bats Cave on Sunday, hoping for a good shore dive.
Unfortunately the swell was 2m plus, although beyond the churn of the waves the water looked clean enough to dive. So Colin and myself headed out, a rather difficult swim I might add. Colin surprised me as I got out to backline, this 'Ballie' was right behind me.
Unfortunately the Vis was bad even after a good swim out to sea. We drifted along with no luck at all, the only thing that decided to scratch my itch was a smallish Hammerhead. Which decided to graze on my mackerel I had on my flasher.

For those of you who don't know how to get to Bats Cave, Its a far walk. Go to Mission Rocks (Cape Vidal) then walk about 2.5 kms up the beach. You will see the dark caves, in which you will hear the bats squeak. Normally the current is strong heading N->S so its advisable to walk to Southern Ledges, which is a further 2-3 kms roughly(North). So all in all its a far walk.
Colin joked as we walked back to Mission Rocks, saying "lucky we didn't catch any fish". It would of been a seriously long walk with a few decent fish.
All in all it was a interesting day out, thanks to Colin for giving me the run down on Bats Cave.

Ive got one or two photos of the cave which I'll post later.
Just as a matter of interest, there is only 1 record I have found for Bats Cave, which is a 9kg Springer shot by W Galli, in 1991.

cheers
Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment